Pages

Welcome!

This blog is for those of us girls (and guys) who love everything artsy and enjoy the challenge of discovering new and exciting ways of creating something wonderful. We do not discriminate against any artform but are willing to try them all and pass on our knowledge to you. In addition, we love to feature our ATA Girlz (and guys) so that those people who can't draw a straight line - but love unique and handmade items - can help support our wonderful friends. Visit often to discover what we're "playing" with next!

Thursday, September 13, 2012

SteamPunk Snowman

I have always looked at things a little differently, so the Steampunk movement (the blend of Victorian and SciFi styles) has always appealed to me.


A few weeks ago I posted about the SteamPunk Egg I made my sister, ATA Girl, Dani and I enjoyed making it so much that when my friends and fellow art therapists came to visit me over the Labor Day weekend I planned an art experience for them involving  Steampunk materials.

They are all so creative, I wasn't sure what they would want to work on, so I provided a few options of plain, unpainted paper mache' and wood ornament and picture frames to do some Steam Punky collage work on.


They all chose the picture frames to work on (which turned out great, sorry I didn't get any pics) and so I did a snowman ornament, which lent itself perfectly to a mechanized punky treatment.

I started by painting the whole snowman black, then adding on some metallic copper accents to look like doors and metal plates.  I then used decoupage glue and ripped up some small copies of classic Leonardo da Vinci illustrations and applied them to the surface of the snowman for more interest. I applied a coating of Modge Podge glue over the whole snowman to seal it and add shine.

Once dry, I build up the surface with vintage watch parts to mimic classic snowman elements like eyes, buttons and I made a scarf out of copper wire and watch parts.

Not artistically inclined but love the little steamy snowman or know someone that would?  No worries!  I will make one for you! Order from the ATA Girl Store Envy site (see large Button at upper right hand side of blog) or email me at dianesteinbach@gmail.com.  Each snowman may be slightly different as they are all handmade. $25.00 a piece. Come in either primarily black (as shown) or copper with black accents.

~ Diane



Spark Your Creativity Now
(http://pinandtack.blogspot.com)

13 comments:

  1. Oh wow!! Now this is absolutely creative and cool!! What a neat idea! Thanks for joining us at Spark Your Creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I really enjoy working with the gears and stuff... lots of inspiration there. Looking forward to all the great ideas at Spark your Creativity!

      Delete
  2. Super cool! I don't decorate that way, but I really like it.
    I didn't know steampunk was the correct term for the vintage-mechanical look, but it sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. This is a great way to explore the world of mixed media. You never know what you can create!

      Delete
  3. What a fun meeting that must have been! I've never tried steam punk art, didn't really understand the term til I read your definition. I like it! Hopping from Welcome Wednesday.
    http://forwhatitsworth-jeannie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Will check out your blog!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for stopping by! I will return the love and hop on over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so adorable! This would make a super cool gift for xmas too! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by. They are incredibly cool... and for sale in our ATA Girl Store as well as on ETSY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping! We are going STEAMPUNK crazy around here - watch for more.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - just wait til you see what's coming next!

      Delete

Books by our Bloggers

ATA Girls Blog Hop: All People Creative Welcome!